THE LIFEGUARD STATION, OLINDA COASTAL COTTAGES, KILMORE QUAY
At the end of the 19th century the old window was a coastguard station. In 1876 it was sold to Francis Millar and after that it was sold in 1912 for £560 to William Tanner Boxwell of Birkenhead in Cheshire. He lived for most of the year in Recife, Brazil and when he died it became the property of his widow Lucy. It was later sold to Mylars and in 1973 it became the property of John Power . The present owners of the holiday cottages purchased them from John Power.
The “BOATHOUSE’ at the end of the garden was once part of the Coastguard Cottages and for a short while it was used as a lifeboat house. It is at present the property of another member of the Power family. The courtyard of that house contains a beautifully restored, COMPASS ROSE modeled no doubt, on a compass rose which was constructed by Henry the Navigator in the 1600s in his school of navigation in the south-west corner of Portugal.
Much of the history of the cottages and Kilmore Quay is available in the cottage information packs when you rent them.
Please feel free to contact us with any enquiries on our Self Catering Cottages, available for rent through the summer – all details on rental times and prices can be viewed here